Pages

Friday, July 17, 2009

20 Foot Larva


I have always had sketchbooks. As far back as I can remember, I've always had one nearby. I still have them all. There is a stack of about fifteen of them. When I was a kid, I had the odd habit that most kids have. That's being a perfectionist. If you start drawing something, and it quickly loses its perfection, you abandon the whole thing and begin again. Even if you had only drawn one line. I recall that it used to really bother me.
This was my second college sketchbook. I probably began it around 1994 or 1995. The first one was filled up pretty quickly, but that was largely due to the fact that I also added notes from my art classes into it. The second one is still unfinished...

A couple more things of interest...
on the left side is a loose storyboard for the idea that became Mandarins. I think this was around the phase when it was intended to be turned into wood engravings.
Below that, is the One and Only Grubby Stump! Grubby is another one of my characters. I developed a comic around him that I was calling Neutrino Valley. This is yet another one of my failed comics. Future posts on this failure will be right around the corner. But remember, you saw Grubby here first!
(He is story making a comeback in the Hairballs. But Neutrino Valley, as I envisioned it, is dead).
On the right is me, surrounded by my pod people, Indred Cold, and the Mothman...

- Chew

No comments:

Post a Comment