Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Me happy. Kids not so much ...


As much as I enjoy making comics, it's quick character studies like these that give me immense joy. Bold, smooth and sometimes choppy lines made by my quill pen as I ink. There is a purity in these little sketches that I can't seem to find when I work on a panel. Since I don't have a lot of time in the evenings, it's nice to just cut loose and not care. This, by the way, was done after spending over two hours on the latest panel in Flex Fantastic 2.

My oldest daughter picked up a copy of Flex the other day and I wouldn't let her read it. It's not appropriate for a seven year old and I feel ...well, I feel kind of bad about it. I'm making comics that neither of my daughters are allowed to read (sorry, kids). So I created Rikki Rocket (pictured above), which I hope will be an all-ages comic that my kids can pick up and enjoy. I'm planning on doing one page explaining how she gets her powers. Should be fun. And I will most definitely approach the comic with same reckless abandon as I did in these drawings. I will post the page when it's finished. Which could take some time ... five weeks until my wife gives birth to our third child – another girl! I don't expect to get too much done after that.

- Jeff Tuffenstuff

No comments:

Post a Comment